If you have reluctant writers or creative writers who are writing simple, shallow stories, try this set of dinosaur writing prompt cards.
The dinosaur writing prompt cards provide guidance with the writing process. Additionally, they will help your student generate oodles of dinosaur story ideas.
What’s Included in the Dinosaur Writing Prompt Cards?
This printable file includes six task cards and six pages of matching stationery.
Each prompt card includes a creative writing prompt with a story title on one side of the card and a series of questions on the other.
The file includes:
- Instructions for how to use each prompt over a three-day writing process. This includes prewriting, drafting, and editing. I would recommend that you ask your student to write one (and only one) story per week.
- 6 dinosaur writing prompt cards
- 6 dinosaur story stationery pieces to match the task cards
The stationery includes the same title prompts as the task cards.
The questions are provided to cause the writer to think about his or her writing throughout the prewriting process.
Through the prewriting, the writer will generate ideas that include setting, character, and conflict. Including these three short story elements helps your student craft an amazing dinosaur story.
How to Use the Dinosaur Writing Prompt Cards
Assembly: Print the cards. Cut out cards. Fold them in half on the dotted line. Glue together. Repeat with all the cards. Laminate for durability, if desired.
- Day One: Let your student choose one writing prompt card. If possible, read through the questions with your student and discuss ideas. Give the student a piece of paper to scribble all of her ideas. This prewriting process can be called a “brain dump,” and it can be a place where the student answers the questions on the chosen writing prompt card.
- Day Two: Ask your student to write a draft of a story.
- Day Three: Review the draft with your student. Tell her what she has done well and give her a few suggestions. Have her write his final work on the stationery page provided (the one that matches the prompt card).
Note: If your student is not familiar with setting, conflict, or plot, I would review these short story elements before giving him his first story writing prompt card.
Dinosaur Writing Prompt Titles
These titles are included in this set of writing prompt cards:
- How to Tame a Dinosaur
- The Friendly Dinosaur
- The Daring Dino Adventure
- The Mysterious Egg
- The Great Dinosaur Dig
- Flying High with Pterodactyl
Sample Dinosaur Writing Prompt Card
Here are the ideas and questions from a sample prompt card:
Title Idea: How to Tame a Dinosaur
Writing Ideas and Questions:
You met a dinosaur in the wild, and you want to bring him home. However, he is ferocious!
How are you going to tame the fierce beast? This is a problem. Will you use chocolate candies? Will you try reading to him (maybe a book about manners)? Do you have other ideas?
Once you tame him, will he be your pet? Will you teach your dinosaur tricks? Will you be able to ride on his back? Will you take him to the park? What other things will you do?
Download Your Free Dinosaur Writing Prompt Cards
Are you ready to grab your set of free story writing prompt cards?
More Creative Writing Lessons and Resources
Roll to Write: Dinosaur Sentences
Your student will smile while practicing handwriting, learning new vocabulary words, and choosing parts of speech. The Writing Dinosaur Sentences includes 20 silly sentences for your students to write.
Writing Silly Sentences
This popular pack also includes 20 sentence writing activities for your student. Practice handwriting, learn the parts of speech, and write complete sentences with this fun pack.