I know I haven’t explained how the entire system works, but that’s because you can read all about in Sue’s book, and I don’t want to give her ideas away. But I just wanted to post why I am so interested in workboxes and why you might be, too!
1. Independence ~ Your student learns to work independently. Not everything is done alone (about 1/3 of Elijah’s day is with me- and I love that!), but moving and working toward self-directed learning is something I really want to instill in my children.
2. Motivation-~Your student will be excited about some of the fun he sees waiting for him.
3. Routine~ The schedule strip creates a solid routine for your student to follow. However, it’s not too rigorous. If your day gets interrupted, you can stop and come back to the boxes as needed.
4. Creativity~ You can clearly see what your student will be doing each day and if you need to add some spice and variety to your school day.
5. Resourcefulness~ You will finally use some of those cool things you found at convention that just sit on the shelf because you don’t have time to get to them.
6. Accountability~ Twelve empty boxes in my face remind me that I need to do my job as teacher and get school ready for the next day. Twelve full boxes remind your student that he needs to do his job and work hard throughout the day.
7. Accomplishment~ Your student will take pride in a job well done when he completes the final box! You will also feel accomplished in your homeschooling.
8. Individual Education~ Isn’t this one of the reasons you are homeschooling? I love giving my kids a personal education! As you fill the boxes, you aren’t just trying to fill them up with school. You are filling them with one, unique, important student in mind.
9. Easy Transitions~ How many times have I lost my student trying to transition from one activity to the next? I’ve gone stark-raving-mad before trying to keep him on task as I gather math supplies for the lesson, sharpen a pencil, or who knows what. The boxes put an end to crazy transitions. You flow from one thing to the next because everything you need is right there in the box.
10. Time Saving~ This goes hand in hand with some of the other things I already listed, but you will be able to save time. Get more done in less time! Who can argue with that?
I will try to tone down the workbox posts now. I promise.